YASS registration for 2022-23 has closed. Registration for 2023-24 will open in Spring 2023. Updated information for the page below will follow.
Early applications encouraged
Schools are encouraged to apply before the summer holidays for YASS 2022-23, as:
- Students are more likely to be able to register on their chosen course.
- It’s easier for students to change courses / withdraw from a course before they start when they are already registered.
- It means students are likely to have access to their course materials ahead of courses starting in October and will be able to get a head start.
Funding for YASS courses in Scotland
YASS receives support from the Scottish Funding Council. This continues to allow us to offer fully funded places for pupils from local authority schools undertaking 10 and 30 credit modules.
As part of the application process, we collect information from students about their nationality and residency in Scotland and use this to work out how much funding is required for their module.
With new guidance around residency and funding since Brexit, some students may be asked to provide further information. If co-ordinators, pupils or parents/carers/guardians have any questions about YASS funding, please contact the YASS team.
Independent schools should contact the YASS team to discuss payment methods.
YASS registration - a quick guide for school co-ordinators
To register pupils for YASS 2022-23, YASS school co-ordinators need to:
1. Carefully consider which pupils choose to participate in the programme. Ensure:
- Pupils are in S6;
- Pupils have researched their chosen course, using the YASS Guide and website;
- Pupils and their parents / carers / guardians have a clear understanding of the commitment and study required, especially in relation to busy times of the year (such as prelims);
- Pupils are aware that YASS courses do not carry UCAS tariff points but can be added to UCAS forms in the Education or Preparation for HE sections and in their personal statement.
Email the YASS team
to request the 2022-23 registration documents. These include the:
- YASS Registration Guide for Co-ordinators (please read first)
- YASS 2022-23 Registration Pack for Students
3. Distribute packs to pupils to complete. Each pack contains all the guidance and forms that pupils and their parents / carers / guardians need.
- Please ensure students use the 2022-23 Registration Pack. We cannot accept any other / older versions of the forms.
4. Collect packs from pupils and use the checklist at the end of the pack to ensure:
- Pupils have filled in all the required information (fields marked with an asterisk*);
- Pupils and their parent / carer / guardian have both signed the registration agreement in section 4.
5. Return the completed packs to the YASS team using ZendTo (see Registration Guide for Co-ordinators for instructions on how to do this). Packs sent via any other means cannot be accepted.
- School YASS co-ordinators must submit packs on behalf of pupils.
- We cannot accept incomplete packs or older versions of the forms.
- Due to information security requirements, we cannot accept packs that are sent by email. Please use the ZendTo system.
- To get in touch if you or a pupil have any questions, email Scotland-YASS@open.ac.uk.