The School was one of the first in the country to become a supporter of the LMS Good Practice Scheme and is committed to supporting the five principles of the scheme:
- a robust organisational framework to deliver equality of opportunity and reward;
- appointment, promotion and selection processes and procedures that encourage men and women to apply for academic posts at all levels;
- structures and systems that enable men and women to progress and continue in their careers;
- organisation, structure, management arrangements and culture that are open, inclusive and transparent and encourage the participation of all staff;
- flexible approaches and provisions that encompass the working day, the working year and a working life and enable individuals at all career and life stages to maximise their contribution to mathematics, their department and institution.
Work in this area is led by the School's Athena Swan Self Assessment Team chaired by Professor Gwyneth Stallard and includes a number of activities aimed at developing the careers of women in the School.