The interests of the Combinatorics and Algebra research group include the following topics.
- Graph theory: graph parameters; well-quasi-ordering; extremal graph theory; decompositions; position problems
- Combinatorial designs: automorphisms and embeddings; infinite designs; homogeneous Steiner triple systems and their links with model theory
- Latin squares and quasigroups
- Pattern-avoiding permutations and their connection with graph theory
- Theory of symmetric maps on surfaces
- Optimal network design; degree-diameter problem and cages
- Automorphism groups of combinatorial objects
- Extremal and probabilistic combinatorics
- Homogeneous relational structures and Cherlin's notion of the "relational complexity" of a finite permutation group
- Generating groups using geometries
The Group organises a regular series of online seminars in discrete mathematics and holds the one-day OU Winter Combinatorics Meeting in January every few years.
Combinatorics and Algebra Group