Research is undertaken in:
- Design theory and methods, including: studies of designers’ processes; design cognition; functional modelling of products
- Creativity in design and innovation
- Computational design; shape grammars; generative methods; computational making
- Comparative design across domains
- Design usability in products; usability in design tools; prototyping
- Engineering design processes including: simulation; systems engineering for resilient products and processes; product development; testing.
PhD or MPhil
For detailed information on current fees visit Fees and funding
Minimum 2:1 (or equivalent)
Potential research projects
We welcome applications for research projects; please contact the department to discuss the suitability of your research interests.
Current/recent research projects
- Testing in the product development process in engineering design
- Resilient design in refurbishment of hospitals
- Generative design of mobile design and mechanisms
- Rules as tools: application of shape grammar methods to jewellery design
- Design dialogues about objects and representations
If you have an enquiry specific to this research area please contact:
- Dr Emma Dewberry
- +44 (0)1908 332940
For general enquiries please contact the Research Degrees Team via the link
under 'Your Questions' on the right of the page.