We undertake research in a wide range of engineering subjects:
- The Built Environment group has a particular interest in environmental and social sustainability in the design and construction of the built environment.
- In the area of Engineering Design we undertake research at the interface between design and manufacturing, for example in product development processes and design margins.
- The Manufacturing group undertakes research in design for manufacture, additive manufacturing, and diffusion bonding.
- The Nanotechnology group focuses on the revolutionary opportunities associated with nanomaterials and nanoscale engineering.
Engineering academics contribute extensively to teaching a wide range of undergraduate and post graduate modules making use of the Open Engineering Laboratory to allow our distance learning students to undertake practical hands-on learning. More details about our work are given under the groupings listed on the right.
- Multi-disciplinary team of academics offering research opportunities in a broad range of engineering subjects.
- Sustainability is a key theme underpinning many of our research activities.
- Strong links with industry, including professional institutions and standards bodies.
- Applications from practising engineers working in industry are welcome.
Most of our full-time research students are based at our Milton Keynes campus; for details of residence requirements for different modes of study see Full-time study and Part-time study.
- Fablab for rapid prototyping, laser cutting, CNC machining and 3D scanning.
- Laboratory facilities for diffusion bonding.
- Open Digital, Design and Engineering Studio.
- Open Engineering Laboratory.