We undertake research in a wide range of engineering subjects In addition to the topics listed on this page, please also refer to the Engineering, Energy, Acoustics and Design prospectus pages.
The Built Environment group has a particular interest in environmental and social sustainability in the design and construction of the built environment.
In the area of Engineering Design we undertake research at the interface between design and manufacturing, for example in product development processes and design margins.
The Manufacturing group undertakes research in design for manufacture, additive manufacturing, and diffusion bonding.
The Nanotechnology group focuses on the revolutionary opportunities associated with nanomaterials and nanoscale engineering.
Engineering academics contribute extensively to teaching a wide range of undergraduate and post graduate modules making use of the Open Engineering Laboratory to allow our distance learning students to undertake practical hands-on learning. More details about our work are given under the groupings listed on the right.
- Multi-disciplinary team of academics offering research opportunities in a broad range of engineering subjects.
- Sustainability is a key theme underpinning many of our research activities.
- Strong links with industry, including professional institutions and standards bodies.
- Applications from practising engineers working in industry are welcome.
Most of our full-time research students are based at our Milton Keynes campus; for details of residence requirements for different modes of study see Full-time study and Part-time study.
- Fablab for rapid prototyping, laser cutting, CNC machining and 3D scanning.
- Laboratory facilities for diffusion bonding.
- Open Digital, Design and Engineering Studio.
- Open Engineering Laboratory.