What you will study
This module emphasises Learning, Training and Development and all those developmental activities that help employees and managers to develop in their jobs and careers. It focuses on both the individual and the organisation. From an individual perspective, it supports your personal and professional development, and helps you develop your managerial skills in one-to-one relationships. From an organisational strategy perspective, it expects you to acquire knowledge and skills needed to operate as a Learning and Development specialist with a wider view of organisational development. An emphasis on sustainable and inclusive HRD will run through the course.
In combining a focus on Learning and Development (L&D) and talent management at both organisational and personal career development levels, it examines a range of L&D workplace interventions. It incorporates the study of coaching and mentoring with the consolidation of coaching and mentoring skills taking place during an online day school. This will take place towards the middle of the module to enable you to consolidate your learning and development skills.
The module is organised into eight units. These will focus on HRD knowledge and practice across different size of organisations, sectors and national contexts, and aim to develop your coaching and mentoring skills and your managerial skills as a HRD professional.
The assessments balance knowledge with practice and assess different skills such as presentation and writing skills as well as your reflective skills. Specifically, the three assessments support the development of wider HRD knowledge, of coaching practice and of strategic Leaning and Development organisational plans. Furthermore they also consolidate your self-analysis and self-reflection.
You'll also need to complete a compulsory day school lasting seven hours. The day school will be skill focused and involves you in working in pairs, in small groups and participating in a larger group discussion moderated by a tutor. The day school will be interactive and will also allow you to set the foundation for an assessment.
The module material is available on the module site, you will be guided through this material by your tutor and will have the opportunity to participate in group forums. In addition, the tutor will lead four synchronous tutorials focusing on key topic areas and on assessment preparation.
You will learn
The module aims to:
- enable you to develop knowledge on learning and development from both theoretical and practical perspectives
- provide you with the skills and understanding needed to engage with learning, training and developmental activities at individual and organisational levels, either as an internal or external consultant
- enable you to develop coaching and mentoring skills
- enable you to plan the development of a learning and development strategy and possible interventions in an organisation of their choice
- develop a critical ability to assess the ethics and social responsibility of learning and development strategies and activities in a range of organisations
Self-awareness, reflective learning and continuous professional development will run throughout the module.