There are no formal entry requirements to study this qualification, but it is very important that you are well prepared to study mathematics at this level.
Before you register for this qualification, it is essential to check that you have the appropriate mathematical skills.
Take a look at our Maths Help study resources to brush up your mathematical skills in preparation for our Are you ready? quiz.
If you can answer most of the questions, or could do them with a quick reminder (because the topic is familiar to you but you can’t quite remember the details), then you are ready.
If you achieved a very high score, our intensive start route may be an option for you. First complete our intensive start Are you ready? quiz to check if you have the necessary experience and confidence with mathematics.
If you would like more advice and guidance about where to start, please visit our MathsChoices website.
How much time do I need?
Find out if you have enough time to study with our time planner
- Most of our students study part time, completing 60 credits a year.
- This will usually mean studying for 16–18 hours a week.
Counting previous study
You could save time and money by reducing the number of modules you need to study towards this qualification, if you have:
- already studied at university level (even if you didn't finish your studies)
- other professional or vocational qualifications such as HNCs and HNDs
Find out more about credit transfer
Preparing for study with an Access module
If your study skills are a bit rusty or you want to try out Open University study before committing yourself, don’t worry! The OU offers Access modules designed to introduce the subject area, build your confidence and prepare you for further study, and you may be eligible to study an Access module for free! You'll get:
- a personal tutor providing regular feedback with one to one telephone tutorials
- support from a dedicated team throughout your study
- detailed written feedback.
For this qualification we recommend: