What is a Disabled Veterans' Scholarship?
If you’ve been injured in, or due to, military service, you could be funded to complete a full Open University qualification.
We offer 50 scholarships every year, and all undergraduate and postgraduate modules and qualifications are eligible. You’ll have your fees waived for a maximum of 120 credits per seasonal academic year, up to a maximum of 360 credits, which is equivalent to a full honours degree.
To be eligible, you’ll need to meet all the following criteria:
- starting OU study for the first time in the applicable academic year
- eligible for a UK fee
- disabled as a result of, or in, military service.
The full eligibility criteria are listed in the scholarship terms and conditions.
What supporting evidence will I need?
You’ll need to provide evidence as a part of your application that confirms your disability arose during, or as a result of, military service. This could be a letter from your current GP or consultant, or your confirmation of medical discharge.
How to apply to the Disabled Veterans’ Scholarships Fund:
Scholarship applications for the 2020/21 academic year are now closed.
Due to the current Coronavirus situation, all applicants, successful and unsuccessful, will be contacted by 10 July 2020 by email only. We’ll also be in touch shortly afterwards to discuss your individual needs, including support in choosing a course, if you need help deciding what to study.
The Disabled Veterans’ Scholarships Fund wouldn’t be possible without the support of our generous donors. The scheme has been kindly supported by:
- ABF (The Soldiers’ Charity)
- Amey plc
- BAE Systems plc
- The Big Give
- The Chancellor, using LIBOR funds
- Constance Travis Charitable Trust
- Sir Christopher Coville, KCB
- Englefield Charitable Trust
- Simon Gibson Charitable Trust
- The Inman Charity
- Leidos UK
- The ‘Lest We Forget’ Association
- PF Charitable Trust
- Queen Mary’s Roehampton Trust
- The Samuel Storey Family Charitable Trust
- THe Sandra Charitable Trust
- Thales Charitable Trust
- The Trelix Charitable Trust
- The Utley Foundation
- The Veterans’ Foundation
- The Wakeham Trust
- The William Allen Young Charitable Trust
- The Worshipful Company of World Traders Charitable Trust
The over 3,800 alumni, friends and OU supporters including:
Robin Adcock; Lara Cournoyer; Gordon Dickenson; John Duncan; Eileen French; David Godson; Colin Hume; Doreen and Anthony Van West; Doug and Rachel Webb.
If you would like to support the fund, please email us to discuss donating.