Preparing for study with an Access module
It doesn’t matter where you start from, it’s where you want to be and how determined you are to get there that counts.
- Will this be your first taste of university?
- Do you want to improve your confidence and brush up on your study skills?
If your answer is ‘yes’ to any of these questions then an Access module could be right for you, and you could be eligible to study for free!
What is an Access module?
Access modules provide the perfect introduction to distance learning and university-level study. Our study materials are designed to help refresh your learning skills and build your self-confidence.
You'll complete your Access module over 30 weeks, studying for around nine hours a week. You'll get:
- personal tutor support with one-to-one telephone tutorials.
- a dedicated team to support you through your studies.
- detailed written feedback.
- an OU Access Module Certificate when you complete your course.
The Access module changed everything for me as I learned the importance of prioritising and about how goals link together. On a personal level my self-confidence is now far greater.Leon Sullivan, Bachelor of Civil Engineering
Why study an Access module?
Our Access modules can be studied in preparation for an OU qualification or, if you're not ready to commit to a qualification yet you can study an Access module on a "standalone" basis. An Access module could be right for you if you want to:
- study a degree but haven't completed A-levels or equivalent qualifications.
- build your confidence and develop your study skills.
- increase your chance of success in future study.
- try out the OU's style of learning before starting a qualification.
- get back into study after a long break.
If you require confidence then study an Access module. The modules are straight forward and the tutors are there when you need them. Everything is written in such a way that it really helps your confidence.Annabel Taylor, Access student
Our Access modules
You can choose from three Access modules which start in October and February each year.
Registering for an Access module
Booking your place is easy:
- Choose your qualification or access module.
- Call us on +44 (0)1908 659253 or book a call back to secure your place. There’s nothing to pay at this stage. We’ll check if your chosen module is the right starting point for you, answer your questions and guide you through the next steps.
- Decide how to pay (you may be able to study for free).
- Complete your registration.
Study for free
You could be eligible to study your module for free.
In order to qualify you must:
- be resident in England
- be registered on a qualification
- have a household income of less than £25,000 (or be in receipt of qualifying benefits)
- have not completed any more than one year on a full-time undergraduate programme at NQF Level 4 or above, or completed 30 credits or more of OU study.
If you are unsure if you meet these criteria why not speak to one of our friendly advisers on +44 (0)1908 659253 or book a call back.
Paying for your study
If you don’t meet the eligibility criteria to study for free, there are flexible ways to pay including spreading the cost through monthly payments or, if you are registered on a qualification, a part-time tuition fee loan.