This degree course is restricted to students working in social care in Scotland.
For sponsored students entry has to be made through the employing agency: you cannot apply direct to the OU. A limited number of places are available to independent students – for more information contact The Open University in Scotland.
Employing agencies and individuals who are interested in this degree should contact the Social Work Co-ordinator at The Open University in Scotland on 0131 226 3851 or email email@example.com.
All candidates for the degree must:
- have qualifications in English and Maths at the level of Standard Grade Two
- show that they can communicate clearly in spoken and written English
- demonstrate that they have the appropriate personal and intellectual qualities to be social workers
- take part in an interview
- register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) as a student social worker – this includes a Disclosure Scotland check.
Many students receive credit transfer for study completed elsewhere, enabling them to start this programme at Stage 2. However, some may need to complete additional modules at Stage 1.
If you are an independent student, you must have completed Stages 1 and 2 either by passing the specified OU modules or by being awarded credit transfer for previous study elsewhere. Following a successful interview and selection, you will then enter the degree at Stage 3.
Apply by 30 April 2018 (independent route) and 01 November 2018 (sponsored route).
How much time do I need?
Find out if you have enough time to study with our time planner
- Most of our students study part time, completing 60 credits a year.
- This will usually mean studying for 16–18 hours a week.
Counting previous study
You could save time and money by reducing the number of modules you need to study towards this qualification, if you have:
- already studied at university level (even if you didn't finish your studies)
- other professional or vocational qualifications such as HNCs and HNDs.
Find out more about credit transfer
Preparing for study with an Access module
If your study skills are a bit rusty or you want to try out Open University study before committing yourself, don’t worry! The OU offers Access modules designed to introduce the subject area, build your confidence and prepare you for further study, and you may be eligible to study an Access module for free! You'll get:
- a personal tutor providing regular feedback with one to one telephone tutorials
- support from a dedicated team throughout your study
- detailed written feedback.
For this qualification we recommend: