Skip to content

Toggle service links

Overseas students

An image of students in the OU library. The Open University (OU) already has a diverse, multi-national culture and recognises the benefits this brings to individual academic diversity and to our research community. The OU welcomes international students who wish to undertake a research degree in the UK. 

The OU is licensed as a Tier 4 sponsor under the points-based immigration system. This allows us to register non European Economic Area (EEA) students – that is, those who live outside the European Community, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

Support for overseas students

We recognise that coming to the UK to start a degree programme is an exciting opportunity. We can help you settle in to your new life, both in Milton Keynes and at the OU by giving you the support and information you need.  A non-exclusive list includes:

  • help with finding accommodation in the UK
  • assistance in opening a UK bank account
  • general advice for living in the UK
  • a dedicated induction session for first-year overseas research students, as well as the main research student induction events
  • the OU is a licensed Tier 4 sponsor. On acceptance of an offer to study at the OU, we can issue a confirmation of acceptance (CAS) for study
  • a dedicated support team available to answer your study-related questions.

Visa requirements for entry to the UK

Further details of the requirements for entry to the UK as a postgraduate research student are available on our link.

Your questions

For advice about applying for a research degree, or sponsoring a research student, send us an email or call +44 (0)1908 654882.