Why study Geography with The Open University?
The Open University Geography Department has a record of producing innovative research and teaching. In the most recent Research Excellence Framework exercise, over 75% of our research outputs ranked as world leading or internationally recognised in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
Benefits of studying geography with us:
- Our courses and qualifications use cutting edge thinking to address current and emerging social and environmental issues, whilst remaining accessible to those new to studying Geography.
- You’ll have the option to learn from the richness of particular places and situations, with the option to undertake both virtual and residential fieldwork.*
- Regular contact with your tutor and our student support team, there to support you on your learning journey.
- Courses that are accessible to all and recognised as such by employers and professional bodies.
Careers in Geography
In the face of increasing global social and environmental challenges, the skill and knowledge of geography graduates is becoming increasingly valuable to organisations seeking to adapt to new ways of working.
Our range of courses can help you begin or progress your career in:
- Local and central government
- Secondary school teacher
- Environmental consultancy
- Energy efficient industries
- Transport and logistics
*As a part of our response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we don’t expect to be able to offer face-to-face tuition on modules beginning before 31 August 2021. For any face-to-face events we’re unable to offer, online alternatives will be provided instead.