Why study Philosophy with The Open University?
Philosophy seeks to address fundamental questions about ourselves and the world we inhabit, through rational inquiry and argument. Central concerns of philosophy include ethics, politics, the human mind, art, religion and science.
The benefits of studying philosophy with us are:
- Flexibility to combine your study of philosophy with politics, economics, psychology religious studies, and many arts and humanities subjects.
- A range of qualifications which enable you to study philosophy alongside other, complementary disciplines, deepening your understanding.
- Highly regarded study materials that address challenging questions in an engaging and accessible way.
- Opportunities to hone your skills in communication, analysis and critical thinking, while engaging with controversial questions and contrasting views.
- Teaching that is directly informed by our internationally recognised research.
Careers in Philosophy
The discipline of philosophy is highly regarded by employers as they appreciate graduates’ communication skills, clear thinking about abstract and practical matters, and the skills vital to effective decision-making.
Our range of courses in philosophy can help you start or progress your career as a:
- Advertising Account Manager
- Social Worker
- Business Manager