Why study Physics with The Open University?
Join the UK’s only distance-learning higher education provider able to develop comprehensive experimental skills using online tools and assets. You’ll be able to study at a pace that suits you and your other life commitments, enhanced by our innovative teaching methods. Our degree is accredited by the Institute of Physics.
You’ll also have access to:
- The award-winning online OpenSTEM Labs, to develop your investigative and laboratory skills, including with remote experiments you can control online.
- Optional hands-on laboratory work in physics, hosted on our Milton Keynes campus.
- A selection of seminars and lectures covering the breadth of research in physics offered by the School of Physical Sciences.
- The preparation you need to take your next step – whether it’s further study or employment.
Careers in Physics
People with physics qualifications are well placed to enter both scientific and non-scientific jobs. The logical, reasoned approach needed for physics study is relevant to a wide range of employment sectors. For this reason, physics graduates – particularly those who have effective communication and interpersonal skills – are very much in demand.
A physics qualification from the OU could help you start a career in:
- Scientific research and investigation
- Analysis and diagnostics
- Information management
- Product design and development