Skip to content

Toggle service links

Full-time study

Residence requirements

If you are studying for a full-time research degree, you will be required to live within a reasonable travelling distance of Walton Hall, Milton Keynes (this should not exceed 40 miles or 40 minutes’ travelling time), so that you can come on to campus regularly to fully engage with the University research environment. Milton Keynes is a vibrant, modern city with exceptional facilities for learning, business and recreation. The University campus is a stimulating place to work and study, with state-of-the-art research equipment, an outstanding library, a nursery, high-quality catering, numerous sports facilities and green spaces. You can find out more about living in Milton Keynes here.


Milton Keynes has a wide variety of residential accommodation, and plenty within easy reach of the campus. Although we have no student accommodation on campus, we can help you find somewhere to live, especially if you are joining us from overseas. For more information about this service please contact us.

If, in exceptional circumstances, for example due to childcare, disability or domestic commitments, you need to live outside a reasonable travelling distance of Milton Keynes, you will need approval to register. (You will need to make a case explaining how you intend to engage with the research environment, and submit it with your application form.)

Can I work while I study?

Full-time funded students can take on a maximum of six hours of paid work per week. There is no limit to the number of hours self-funded or part-time students can work. Full-time students are expected to commit to spending a minimum of 37 hours a week on study and part-time students are expected to commit to spending a minimum of 18.5 hours a week on study.

Your questions

For advice about applying for a research degree, or sponsoring a research student, send us an email or call +44 (0)1908 654882.