The Acoustics Research Group has been in existence for over forty years, carrying out internationally leading research in the fields of environmental acoustics, musical acoustics and the development of non-invasive acoustical measurement techniques.
The three members of academic staff in the group hold positions in, and have strong links with, the Institute of Acoustics, the European Acoustics Association and the Acoustical Society of America. At any given time, the group hosts around five research students and postdoctoral researchers, ensuring an active and focused research community with full academic and technical support.
- Established worldwide collaborations with other acoustics research institutions.
- Strong links with musical instrument manufacturers and professional musicians.
- All research students have the opportunity to present work at major international conferences.
- Excellent opportunities for involvement in acoustics outreach activities.
- Members of the group appear regularly in both the local and national media.
Acoustic Research Group facilities include two anechoic chambers, a laser laboratory, a high-speed camera, a scanning Laser Doppler Vibrometer, professional quality microphones, as well as a wide range of measuring apparatus and high-performance computing equipment.