What is the Open Futures Bursary for Black Students?
The Open Futures Bursary for Black Students, launching for the first time in academic year 2022/23, will provide the opportunity for new, UK-resident students who identify as Black, to receive a bursary of £500, paid across the first two academic years of their Open University study.
50 bursaries will be available in 2022/23. The bursary is intended to support with the costs of study, such as buying a laptop, study materials or supporting with internet or childcare costs.
To be eligible, you’ll need to meet all the following criteria:
- Identify as being from a Black background; you must have one of the following ethnicities:
- Black African
- Black Caribbean
- Black Other
- Mixed – White and Black Caribbean
- Mixed – White and Black African
- Other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other)
- Have a personal annual income of not more than £25,000 or be in receipt of a qualifying benefit
- Be ordinarily resident in the UK and eligible for a UK fee
- Hold no existing higher education qualification
- Be a new student to The Open University in academic year 2022/23
- Be studying your first Open University module which starts in September or October 2022
- Be studying towards an eligible undergraduate OU qualification
- Be studying at a minimum intensity of 25% (30 credits) per academic year
What supporting evidence do I need?
You’ll need to provide evidence of your annual personal income or qualifying benefit.
How to apply
We are now open for applications for the 2022/23 academic year. To apply, you’ll need to download the full bursary terms and conditions as well as the bursary application form.
Once completed, email your application and supporting evidence to our Student Fees team. You’ll find their contact details on the first page of the application form.
Applications close at midnight on 23rd November 2022. We’ll contact you on or before 9th December 2022 to confirm whether you have been successful.
Need more information?
Our advisers are on hand to answer any questions you might have about the Open Futures Bursary for Black Students, and to help you complete your application, if you need it. Don’t hesitate to call us on 0300 303 5303.