What you will study
Almost 100 million people speak German as their main language. Most of them live in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, making German one of the most widely used languages in Europe. Now associated with economic success, science and technology, German also has a long-standing reputation as a language of poets and thinkers.
This short course offers you an excellent opportunity to take further your basic knowledge of the German language. You’ll continue to develop the essentials of reading, writing, speaking and listening in German. You’ll also improve key skills that will enhance your future study of the language.
Throughout Beginners German 2: mit Vergnügen! you will learn to:
- give and accept invitations
- reserve a table and order food
- arrange meetings
- talk about dates, the time, and the seasons of the year
- explain and to follow directions
- express your likes and dislikes in German
- further understand and employ German pronunciation
- understand and actively use different kinds of words
- use the word order of your sentences in order to emphasise what’s important to you
- use important grammatical features such as the accusative of nouns
- use important verbs such as ‘to take', ‘to drink'
- use modal verbs such as ‘to want’, ‘to need’, and ‘to have to’.
Through studying a variety of topics, you will develop your intercultural understanding through engaging with learning materials, which reflect German speaking countries and their people, and through learning about places and sightseeing in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
Delivered through user-friendly, ‘bite-sized’ blocks, in each unit you’ll discover useful words and set phrases. Audio material, featuring recordings by native speakers of German, and a wide variety of speaking activities will aid your pronunciation. Throughout the course you’ll build up your own German phrase book covering a variety of topics and typical situations.
You’ll also have learned and improved your strategies to memorise and use German vocabulary and grammar. Along with completing the activities and quiz in each unit to strengthen your learning, you’ll have built and developed your own language notebook and gained a solid foundation of basic German to move onto the next level, Beginners German 3: richtig so! (LGXG003)
Viel Erfolg und viel Vergnügen!
Please note that although this course is non-accredited, it can be used towards the module Making your learning count (YXM130) to gain OU credits.
You will learn
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- communicate with speakers of German in a range of predictable and simple contexts relating to everyday life
- know and use the principles of German pronunciation
- understand and use the special German characters (such as the ‘Umlaut') and be able to word-process or hand-write them
- better understand the cultural differences and customs between German-speaking cultures and your own.
The course is designed to help you achieve a level of language proficiency equivalent to level A1 of the Council of Europe Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR).
The course is taught entirely online, with the aid of a learning adviser to offer support where needed. You will have access to online forums that you are strongly encouraged to participate in, as they are an excellent source of support and information. These forums combine peer support with input from the language specialist learning adviser(s). Other support is available via the StudentHome website and Computing Helpdesk.
If you have a disability
The course is delivered online and makes use of a variety of online resources. If you use specialist hardware or software to assist you in using a computer or the internet you are advised to contact us about support which can be given to meet your needs.
The OU strives to make all aspects of study accessible to everyone and this Accessibility Statement outlines what studying LGXG002 involves. You should use this information to inform your study preparations and any discussions with us about how we can meet your needs.