As we enter the new year we thought it would be nice to reflect back on 2014, which was a pretty busy year for the Open University Sport and Fitness Team. Here are just some of our highlights and special moments from 2014.
- Our student numbers rose once again in 2014 as we welcomed a brand new cohort of sport and fitness students to our modules and qualifications
- We also welcomed some very talented new tutors to the team to help support our growing numbers of students
- Seeing some of our students graduate – attending degree ceremonies always makes us very proud! 2014 saw our first cohort of graduates from the BSc (Hons) Sport, Fitness and Coaching qualification
- 2014 was a year of many major sporting competitions including the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, Winter Olympics, Winter Paralympics and Football World Cup – we enjoyed writing articles for this blog and The Conversation during these competitions:- The Winter Olympics really captured our imagination and we wrote about various topics from role models to retirement to motherhood
– The Winter Paralympics provided a further amazing spectacle during which OU student Jade Etherington medaled and led us to write about the special relationship between visually impaired skiers and their guides
– Even though England exited the competition early hopefully our articles about the psychology and business of football kept you engaged!
– A home Commonwealth Games reminded us of that London Olympics feeling and led us to write articles about topics such us addictive personalities, changing your lifestyle and the uniqueness husband-wife sporting teams
- The team also had other publications including the book Podium written by our Head of Department Ben Oakley, and various The Conversation articles written by Candice, Caroline, Jess and Simon.
We now look forward to an even more amazing 2015!
Happy New Year from the Central Academic Team for Sport and Fitness
(Caroline, Simon, Jess, Candice and Gavin)