What you will study
Throughout this course, you’ll benefit from expert insight into best practice approaches to email marketing. Practical exercises will help you to apply your new knowledge, and the social learning approach will empower you to further enhance and reflect on your understanding by sharing your thoughts and opinions with co-learners.
Delivered over four easy-to-digest sections, you will cover:
1: The user journey
- Understand the role of email in the user journey
- Spam and email volumes
- User journey mapping and email marketing
- Email service providers (ESPs)
- The role of customer relationship management (CRM) and automation systems
- Keeping iteration and measurement at the core of email marketing activity
2: Planning and tactics
- Email marketing campaign planning
- Opt-in rules and data collection
- Segmentation and targeting
- Designing emails that work
- The role of testing in email
- Measuring email effectiveness
3: CRM and marketing automation
- CRM and marketing automation in perspective
- The ESP, CRM and marketing automation overlap
- Opportunities for data collection
- Triggered email and workflows
- Going beyond email – content, chatbots and targeting
- Testing, measurement and iteration
4: Measurement and iteration
- The email iteration opportunity
- Core measures: open rates, click through rates and conversion
- Email variables that impact results
- A/B and multivariate testing
- ESP reports
- Web analytics for email marketing
- Attribution modelling to calculate the true value of email activity
Please note: the content in this course also features in courses created by The Open University and Target Internet, which are available on FutureLearn.
You will learn
By the end of this course, you’ll have the skills to:
- apply a best-practice approach to email marketing
- create email designs and build email templates
- interpret email and analytics reports for ongoing email campaign performance
- identify and use email service providers to set effective targeting and manage data.
The number of emails sent on a daily basis is expected to reach 375 billion by 2025 (source: Statista). Email marketing remains a powerful tool that can earn an impressive return on investment. If you’re in business, it’s crucial that you have the skills to get the best out of your email campaigns.
This course has been developed by the OU with industry experts, Target Internet. Known for being leaders in digital marketing training, they also have vast experience in planning and implementing digital campaigns for high-profile brands, including the BBC, Sony, Tesco, Vodafone, Mercedes, L’Oreal and Warner Bros. It’s hosted by Target Internet’s CEO Daniel Rowles, the voice behind the Digital Marketing Podcast and renowned author in the field.
There is no tuition on this course and all study is self-directed. Throughout the course, you will have the opportunity to enhance and reflect on your understanding by sharing your thoughts and opinions with co-learners.