Advanced management accounting
Advanced management accounting concepts and techniques are organised around a focus on strategy to enable you contribute to an organisations’ successful navigation of mid-to long-term challenges. The module builds on your study of Management accounting (B292) to extend your understanding of approaches such as: value chain analysis; strategic pricing; lean manufacturing; strategic issues for financing the firm; risk analysis; project appraisal techniques; performance appraisal and the balanced scorecard. You will be encouraged to take a critical approach to evaluating techniques and theories and equipped to apply them in case study settings.
What you will study
The material has been organised to broadly reflect the process of implementing strategy. The module will help you to understand, apply and critically evaluate:
- strategic frameworks as they apply to management accounting
- techniques for making strategic decisions, including capital investment, pricing, and product/service selection
- financing and risk management approaches
- management accounting techniques to implement and control strategic decisions such as responsibility reporting, budgeting and performance evaluation
You will learn
This module offers a varied and interesting tool kit of theories, techniques and frameworks and the skills to apply them appropriately in organisations. It is an essential element of the professional accountant’s preparation.
You will learn:
- about a range of management accounting techniques, their appropriate application and limitations
- to apply them in case situations
- spreadsheet design skills
- to extend your skills to research information and to write reports
- how to critically evaluate academic articles, management accounting techniques and strategic management accounting
To take this module students must have completed Management accounting (B292) (now discontinued) or equivalent studies at other institutions.
If you have any doubt about the suitability of the module, please speak to an adviser.
Revising Management accounting (B292) will assist in this module.
You’ll be provided with six printed module books, each covering one block of study, a workbook, and have access to a module website,which includes:
- a week-by-week study planner
- module materials
- audio and video content
- assignment details and submission section
- online tutorials and forums.
You will need
A calculator, preferably a non-programmable scientific calculator, and spreadsheet software are essential.
You'll need a desktop or laptop computer with an up-to-date version of 64-bit Windows 10 (note that Windows 7 is no longer supported) or macOS and broadband internet access.
To join in spoken conversations in tutorials we recommend a wired headset (headphones/earphones with a built-in microphone).
Our module websites comply with web standards and any modern browser is suitable for most activities.
Our OU Study mobile App will operate on all current, supported, versions of Android and iOS. It's not available on Kindle.
It's also possible to access some module materials on a mobile phone, tablet device or Chromebook, however, as you may be asked to install additional software or use certain applications, you'll also require a desktop or laptop as described above.