We value all our students and we want to do our best to ensure that the OU reflects the whole of our society. Our analysis indicates that currently we have a shortfall in the numbers of students we would like to attract from some groups of UK society in specific areas of study.
In order to be eligible for the bursary you must meet all
of the following criteria:
- Have a gross household income of not more than £25,000 per year or be in receipt of a qualifying benefit.
- Be ordinarily resident in the UK.
- Be new to The OU – you will not be eligible if you have taken any credit-bearing modules, including Access modules.
- Be registered towards an undergraduate qualification.
- Completed your registration on your first Open University module.
- Be studying a minimum of 30 credits per year.
- Hold no existing higher education qualification.
In addition to the criteria listed above, you must also meet at least two
of the following:
- Have a declared disability.
- Be from an ethnic minority group (Black, Asian, Mixed or Other non-White category).
- Be a care leaver within the last five years.
- Be a female intending to study a science, technology, engineering or maths (STEM) qualification.
- Be a male intending to study nursing or subjects allied to medicine, arts, social science, law, education or languages qualification.
Full details of the terms and conditions
and frequently asked questions can be found here